Have you ever played that game – Two Truths and a Lie? All the players have to write down two things that are true about themselves and one that is not. When your two truths and a lie are read to the group, the other players try to guess which one is a lie.
Of course, the ideal strategy is to come up with at least one truth that seems too far-fetched to be true and to invent a lie that is close enough to the truth to fool the other players. Tricky!
And if you have a close friend in the group, it gets even trickier. What lie can you come up with that will fool a good friend?
But sometimes, it’s more than a game. In real life there are truths about ourselves that we are willing to let others see, but there are others we are desperate to hide. So we tell half-truths or outright lies.
- My daughter is doing great in school – good grades; the teachers love her; she has lots of friends (but hide the anorexia – she’s just naturally thin, you know – runs in the family)
- My marriage is wonderful – twenty-four years this fall; just took a great cruise together; having a blast (but hide the hours he spends “at work” when you know he’s not at work)
- My job is the best – great pay; great benefits (but hide the fact that it’s boring and Friday can’t come soon enough)
- My relationship with God? Great, of course. I go to church every Sunday and help out in the nursery once a month. It’s super. (but hide the unopened Bible and the unused prayer journal)
The truth is that all of us have things we don’t want each other to see, but the truth is also that we need someone to see those things we hide.
- We need God to see and to know that He loves us anyway.
- We need loving friends to see and to help us work through our hidden things.
- We need to be willing to show the truth to others who are working through the same problems.
- We need to be real with each other, with ourselves, and with God.
Time to stop playing the game and to let the truth out.
Once again it’s time to join up with the Five Minute Friday community to explore this week’s prompt word – Truth. Check out the other ideas about truth at Kate Motaung’s blog – Heading Home.
photography by Unsplash.com